14 Companies Stimulating Growth Across the Triangle
There’s no denying 2021 was a banner year for the Raleigh-Durham area when it comes to the announcement of new businesses that will help the Triangle continue its outstanding growth. From the newest biotech companies looking to boost healthcare across the globe to giant tech companies looking for promising communities to house their growing services, companies were clamoring to claim North Carolina as a home for many of their hubs.
While some of the area’s biggest job makers—like Apple and Google—might be top of mind, here’s a quick refresher of the top 14 companies that promised in 2021 to bring new work opportunities and a positive economic outlook to the area.
• Adverum Biotechnologies, Inc., a Redwood City, California-based gene therapy company, is investing $82.8 million for a new manufacturing facility in Durham County. The facility will allow the company to support ongoing clinical trials for ocular issues like wet age-related macular degeneration and diabetic macular edema. It will also create an estimated 200 jobs—including production staff, quality control specialists, facility engineers, and more—as it ramps up production, creating an annual payroll impact of $19 million for the area.
• Amgen Inc., is a pioneering biotechnology company that will build a new biologics manufacturing operation in Holly Springs for patients dealing with cancer or heart disease. The manufacturing facility will create 355 jobs and bring an additional $42.4 million of annual payroll growth to the region.
• Silicon Valley-based tech giant Apple is investing more than $1 billion into a new research and development campus at the Research Triangle Park. Alongside this campus, Apple has promised 3,000 jobs for the area and an investment of more than $1 billion into North Carolina by 2032. It’s estimated that Apple’s new positions will create a regional payroll impact of more than $550 million per year.
• Biogen, a Massachusetts-based neuroscience company, has been in the RTP since 1995. However, the company is adding another facility and expanding its operations. The new gene therapy manufacturing facility will create 90 new jobs and will be a $200 million investment for the company.
• CARsgen Therapeutics Corporation, an innovative biotechnology company that develops medicines to treat cancer, is building a 37,000-square-foot manufacturing facility, followed by a 100,000-square-foot facility in Durham. These facilities will bring approximately 200 jobs to Durham with a payroll impact of $15.2 million to the region each year.
• Fidelity Investments’ new Regional Center for Personal Investing immediately opened 500 new job opportunities in the Research Triangle Park.
• FUJIFILM Diosynth Biotechnologies has been a staple in the Research Triangle Park since 1996. The company announced in 2021 it will expand by developing a biopharmaceutical manufacturing facility in Holly Springs, which will bring 725 jobs and a $2 billion investment to Wake County. The new facility will generate nearly $85 million in payroll impact to the area.
• Gilead Sciences, Inc., a Foster City, California-based biopharmaceutical company, chose the Research Triangle for its new Business Services center, which will deliver financial, HR, and IT services, including cybersecurity and digital transformation initiatives. In addition, it will create 275 jobs in the Triangle and bring a yearly economic impact of more than $39 million to the area.
• Silicon Valley’s tech giant Google is launching a new engineering hub for Google Cloud, promising more than 1,000 jobs in downtown Durham. Google’s expansion into communities throughout the United States is part of the company’s plan to invest billions of dollars into offices and data centers to create lasting economic recovery.
• Invitae Corporation, a San Francisco-based medical genetics company, will build a major testing and laboratory facility in Morrisville. The facility, which will create 347 jobs, is a $114.6 million investment for the company, and the region can expect a more than $34.1 million payroll impact each year.
• Jaguar Gene Therapy, LLC, an Illinois-based gene therapy company with facilities currently in Cary, is investing $125 million to build a new production facility. This facility, which will be located within the Research Triangle Park, will support future clinical and commercial production of therapies for galactosemia, a specific genetic cause of autism, Type 1 diabetes, and more. The facility will create 200 new jobs, and this investment will bring more than $18.5 million of annual payroll to the region.
• Lotus Bakeries, which opened its first U.S. production facility in Mebane in 2017, will expand its operations with its Lotus, Lotus Biscoff, Annas, Nākd and BEAR brands. The new project will expand the facility to an additional 111,000-square-feet to add three new production lines to its operations. The expansion will add an additional 90 jobs, with more than $4 million in additional payroll within the community.
• California-based specialty financial services firm PennyMac Financial Services is creating more than 300 jobs in Wake County thanks to the development of a new mortgage production center. The company is investing $4.3 million into its mortgage lending subsidiary PennyMac Loan Services, LLC, in Cary, creating such new jobs as brokers, consumer experts, customer contact staff, IT, underwriters, and managerial staff. This potential payroll impact could be more than $20.7 million per year for the county.
• Smart Wires Inc., is a global power technology company that works to advance clean energy initiatives. The company chose Durham as its global headquarters, which brings with it 250 jobs and an estimated payroll impact of $29.5 million per year
Thinking about buying or selling your home? Learn more about our team of over 90 exceptional real estate professionals standing by to help you meet your real estate goals.
The Jim Allen Group is a Raleigh, North Carolina based real estate sales team that is consistently ranked the #1 Coldwell Banker sales team in the nation.
The Jim Allen Group provides access to information on this blog/website as a public service for educational purposes only. Although reasonable efforts have been made to ensure that all of the information made available is current, accurate, and complete…[read more]